Medtronic has two main insulin pump systems: the 780G and the 630G. The 780G is an automated insulin delivery system, and the 630G has a variety of features, including predictive low glucose suspend (PLGS) technology.
Features of the 780G system include:
- Use with 780G insulin pump
- Connected to the Guardian 4 continuous glucose monitor (CGM)
- Designed for use in ages 7 years and older
- 7 day infusion set
- Cartridge holds 300 units of insulin
- Bolus target is 120 mg/dL
- Basal target is variable, with 100 mg/dL set as the default
- Algorithm can “auto-bolus,” meaning it can automatically correct blood sugar based on readings from the CGM
- Note: Medtronic also has a 770G system available. The 780G is the updated, optimized version of the 770G, which is being phased out.
Features of the 630G system include:
- Use with the 630G insulin pump
- Connected to the Guardian 3 continuous glucose monitor (CGM)
- Mainly prescribed for patients with type 2 diabetes
Responsible Use of Automated Insulin Delivery Technology
Systems like the 780G with automated insulin delivery are not substitutes for active diabetes management, as they are common scenarios and cannot prevent hypoglycemia. This system relies on continuous CGM reading and will not be able to predict glucose levels or suspend insulin delivery if your CGM is not working properly or is unable to communicate with your pump. Be sure to always use your pump, cartridges, CGM, and infusion sets as instructed and check them regularly to make sure they are working properly. Always pay attention to your symptoms, actively monitor your glucose levels, and treat according to your healthcare provider’s recommendations.
Updated on 09/27/23
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.