Technology can make diabetes management easier for some; but it may not be for everyone. You may find that a non-technical solution suits you best or maybe, a combination of solutions. Is not for everyone but you can use different technology approaches that suit your needs and with which you are comfortable. Research shows that people with type 1 diabetes who use injections along with a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) report the highest quality of life.
Technology is constantly changing. Keep an open mind as you review the different solutions and try to find the best one for you. Here are some things to consider before deciding if a technology solution is for you.
- Know your lifestyle and priorities (your activity level, the desire to be discreet about your diabetes) etc.
- Understand your physical wants & needs regarding the specific technology (fewer finger sticks, fewer low sugars);
- Be aware of your seasonal needs (swimming, hiking); (a technology break may be needed during certain seasons)
- Research your insurance plan for your costs;
Talk to your diabetes team about the pros & cons of different technologies.
- Talk to people who are using this specific technology.
This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.