To contact us, please email

School Age

School Accommodations

By in School Age

As part of a Section 504 plan or IEP, certain accommodations can be requested to make sure your child has the same access to education as other kids. What kinds of accommodations should you request?

Sample Accommodations

Staff Training – The school is responsible for providing a nurse or a trained staff member who can oversee your child’s diabetes care throughout the day. Also, anyone who comes in regular contact with your child (teachers, coaches, and even the bus driver) should be trained to spot symptoms, check blood glucose and treat lows.

Diabetes Management – Determine when and where blood glucose checks and insulin delivery will occur throughout the day. Also, make sure your child can check blood glucose and treat lows in the classroom versus having to go to the nurse’s office.

Testing – Request extra time during tests if your child needs a break to test blood glucose and treat lows. You may also request access to diabetes testing supplies, snacks and water during tests.

PE and Recess– request blood glucose checks be tested before PE and recess and make sure the teacher has access to fast-acting carbs in case of lows.

Extracurricular Activities and Field Trips– Request that the nurse or trained staff person is available for before- and after-school activities, field trips, and other school-sponsored events (such as dances).

An Emergency Plan (including sick-day management and school lock-down procedures)

Your school district should have written documents about how they conduct 504 meeting and IEPs.  Familiarize yourself with their documents before your meeting.


Updated 2/17/19

Disclaimer:  This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.