To contact us, please email

School Age

School Forms

By in School Age

After your child has been diagnosed, there are certain documents you will need to have in place with your school to ensure your child’s diabetes is taken care of.  There are two important forms: the Diabetes Medical Management Plan (DMMP) and the 504 plan.

Diabetes Medical Management Plan (DMMP) – The DMMP (often referred to as Doctor’s orders) lays out the specific diabetes needs of your child at school. It will include items such as how often blood glucose should be checked, amounts of insulin to be given, and hypoglycemia treatment.  Obtain this form from your doctor after diagnosis and at the beginning of every school year.  (If children are in after-care program, a separate DMMP will need to be on-file for that.).  See a sample Diabetes Medical Management Plan.

The 504 Plan– The 504 Plan is an agreement designed to make sure astudent with diabetes has the same access to education as other children. Designed to meet the requirements of a federal law that prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973), it helps students, parents/guardians, and school staff to understand their responsibilities and to minimize misunderstandings. It may include provisions such as: having multiple school staff members be trained to check blood glucose, permission to eat whenever and wherever necessary, and extra time during testing.  See a sample 504 plan.  

Individual Health Plan (IHP) – The IHP is developed by the school nurse in partnership with the student and parents. It is based on the DMMP and  should consider support needed during the entire school day, including the classroom, physical education, the school bus, behavior needs, field trips, and extracurricular activities. It can include details on where glucose will be monitored and who will assist.

Emergency Care Plan (ECP) – An ECP describes how acute diabetes emergencies like hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia are managed in the school setting. The  document is written in plain language and is used by school staff to recognize and treat hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia. The plan is usually created by the school nurse. All school personnel who have responsibility for students with diabetes during school, after school, and during school emergency situations should be provided a copy of these plans.  See a sample Hyperglycemia Emergency Care Plan (For High Blood Glucose) and a sample Hypoglycemia Emergency Care Plan (for Low Blood Glucose).

The Self Carry Form gives s student permission to carry their diabetes supplies and self-administer insulin throughout the day.

The IEP Plan – While most students with T1D need a 504 plan, some students may need a different agreement called an IEP. An IEP (individualized education plan) is an agreement for students who qualify for services under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA).  It specifies what a school is going to do to meet a child’s individual education needs.  (Students will get either a 504 Plan or an IEP Plan.)


Updated 8/16/2021

This document is not intended to take the place of the care and attention of your personal physician or other professional medical services. Our aim is to promote active participation in your care and treatment by providing information and education. Questions about individual health concerns or specific treatment options should be discussed with your physician.